Tuesday, April 01, 2008

spawn


Good news/bad news on the tadpole front.

This year we are able to start with some actual frog spawn kindly donated by my mother.

You may remember that last year I added a new water barrel, filled it with rocks, plants and stuff. I added some tadpoles last year and they just disappeared straight away. This year I am thinking that the barrel must have stabilised and so added a lump of spawn to that and a smaller lump to this flat water pool container thing.

Anyway, the spawn in the water barrel appears to just sink straight away. Very dissapointing. I feel like i have committed a frog massacre. Same with the other container. ho hum.

My mum is a bit of a frog whisperer it would appear.

We were fiddling about with her pond when she lifts up some plant in a pot she has floating and it was pandemonium – we counted around 14 frogs on all shapes and sizes and colours. I don’t know how she does it. The smallest one was not much bigger that the finger nail sized babies when they first leave the pond.

No comments: