Friday, March 18, 2011

a new year. more spawn. fish awaken

A new year dawns!

As you know I don’t remove the cover until the clocks change but this year – just like last, and around the same time – there is frog spawn in the pond.

This was so exciting last year and I put half in the water barrel and half in the fish tank and then NOTHING. Felt guilty all year and worse – no frogs. After years of waiting for my fish to breed, all of a sudden I had my own bona fide frog spawn. And I killed it.

This year…well no koi for a start…no big fat fuckers to feed on the spawn. And the cover is not a net but those smart round plastic inter connecting covers from the bastion of middle class suppliers - Scotts of Stow.

I have three blobs on the plastic. I WISH I had a camera and could have seen that frog returning like a salmon to his home ..jumping across the pond dropping his spawn behind him.

Something went wrong last year. In my head I blamed it on climate change. But its curious he has come back at exactly the same time.

Last year I searched the ponds of sussex but to no avail. No spawn

At Preston park there is a pond with NEWTS! This year I WILL have spawn.

Watch this space.

No comments: